Fastest Growing Resource for Fresher Career development

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. In addition to this number are many more that come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.

The provinces regulate education and schools in Canada. For more detailed information on living and studying in a specific province or territory, contact the school where you wish to study.

Who Needs a Study Permit?
Not everyone needs a Study Permit to study in Canada. Find out if you need a Study Permit or a Temporary Resident Visa. Information for Foreign Students
Studying in another country can be an adventure and a challenge. Read about what to consider before applying for a Study Permit, how to apply, work opportunities for foreign students and find other important information. Applications, Guides and Forms
Find applications, guides and forms and print them from your computer.

A Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. To Apply Click here

Working on campus

You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if:

  • you are engaged in full-time studies at:
    • a public post-secondary institution;
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify); or
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
  • you have a valid study permit.

Working off campus

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows foreign students at publicly-funded post-secondary educational institutions to work off campus while completing their studies.

Publicly-funded post-secondary educational institutions are:

  • public post-secondary institutions that have signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government; or
  • private post-secondary institutions that operate under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, receive at least 50 percent of their financing for their overall operations from government grants, and have signed an off campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify).

Off-campus work is available for students studying at such institutions in provinces or territories that have signed agreements with CIC. Check the list of participating institutions. Participating institutions are eligible institutions that have signed an agreement for the Off-Campus Work Permit Program with their provincial or territorial government.

How do I participate?

To work off-campus, you have to apply for a work permit. Do not begin to work off campus until you have received your work permit. The work permit authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (e.g., winter or summer holidays and spring break).

To be eligible for an off-campus work permit, you will have to:

  • have a valid study permit;
  • be studying at a participating institution (see list above);
  • have been a full-time student for at least six of the twelve months preceding your application for a work permit;
  • be in satisfactory academic standing;
  • sign a form authorizing the institution, the province and CIC to share your personal information (in order to confirm that you are continuing to study full time and that you are in satisfactory academic standing);
  • complete a work permit application (available on the CIC Web site); and
  • include with your work permit application an official receipt to show you have paid the application processing fee of $150.